The Dysfunctional Saturn and its Impact upon Health
Dysfunctional Saturn aspects in the natal chart frequently contribute to health issues. For example, people with Fibromyalgia often have Saturn inconjunct (150) aspects in their natal chart.
These people have a difficult time assessing their accurate responsibility in most situations. With Fibromyalgia, these people are drawn to crises, care-taking and sacrificing themselves for others. Because they actually resent these crises, their bodies develop an “allergic reaction” to the adrenalin that they produce – hence, the great pain that they experience.
Because many diseases are associated with this dysfunctional pattern with Saturn, it is essential to change the psychological pattern in order to improve the health condition.
The best description of the Dysfunctional Saturn comes from my favorite book by Alan Epstein, The Psychodynamics of Inconjunctions. I love this book so much that I have two copies of it…just in case I cannot find one when I need to refer to it. Often, the psychological issues of this 150 degree aspect represent the psychological struggles about which the individual is most aware. They also represent important talents available to the individual, if they will overcome the dysfunctional side of the planet. Many of these talents are listed in Epstein’s book. This book appeared in AstroAmerica’s Top Ten List.
The Psychological Issues of a Dysfunctional Saturn are:
- Problems and lessons come through dealing with the reality of responsibility.
- Need to prove self responsible to others, limiting freedom, assuming responsibilities and burdens
- May have had to assume responsibilities for parents, foregoing play in order to assume the worry and burden of family survival.
- The parents often felt that they themselves were making great sacrifices and handling great responsibilities when they were actually dumping these on the child.
- They permit others to unload their burdens on the individual who is not always efficient and effective in these tasks.
- Find themselves surrounded with irresponsible or needy people – these inept people give a sense of purpose and connectedness.
- Premature, adult-like assumption of duties so that the individual never does learn how to handle responsibilities effectively. The enjoyment of life is very much limited by these chores. Saturn says: Before you can be happy, the people you love must be happy.
- Feelings of isolation because of these responsibilities
- Forced to wait and be patient; sense of timing is inappropriate
- As a child, the individual was either forced to wait or rushed and pressured.
- The individual fears a total collapse if they do not do it all.