THE ASTROLOGICAL SIGNATURES OF ADD/ADHD AND CURRENT BREAKTHROUGHS IN MEDICAL RESEARCH by Lynn Koiner, P.M.A.F.A
In Course III of my medical curriculum of The International Academy of Astrology, I devote one class to this disorder. I classify ADHD as ADD Type 1, of which there are six types in all. Course III is devoted to issues connected with the Frontal Lobe of the Brain (Element of Fire and Neurotransmitter Dopamine) and the Pre-Frontal Cortex (ruled by Saturn as this part of the brain does not mature until the first Saturn Return). I cannot discuss all 6 types of ADD in this article but I can discuss the main astrological signatures.
ADD/ADHD was first described in medical literature as early as 1902. Today it affects 6% of the population. People with ADD are not hyperactive but people with ADHD are hyperactive. ADD is more prominent with females; ADHD is prominent with males.
From the Healthy Place medical channel, they state that “both acronyms ADD and ADHD, attention deficit disorder and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, refer to a hereditary biochemical disorder that impedes a person’s ability to perform to his or her full potential. The symptoms show up in childhood and often carry on into adolescence and adulthood, causing problems in virtually all areas of life.
Generally, this is a condition that is characterized by a short attention span, hyperactivity and poor concentration. While of normal or above average intelligence, there is impairment in perception, language, memory and motor skills. There is increased impulsivity and decreased emotional liability.
This disorder creates serious social problems:
- They more frequently drop out of school
- They often become addicted to drugs, alcohol or cigarettes
- 43% of untreated ADHD boys will be arrested for a felony by age 16
- 75% have motor vehicular episodes – speeding tickets, accidents and DUIs
- Parents of ADD/ADHD children divorce 3 times more often than the general population
- Poor parenting can often be an issue or, at least, make the condition worse
The harder these people try to focus, to concentrate and pay attention the worse the condition becomes for them. Brain-imaging studies show that when people with ADD/ADHD try to concentrate the part of the brain involved with concentration and follow-through actually shuts down, just when the need it to turn on. That is, the current research with ADD shows that there is an under-stimulation of the PreFrontal Cortex when concentration occurs.
Like arthritis (which has 13 different types and causes), I feel that ADD has different astrological signatures. In this article, I can only discuss Type 1 (ADHD) and Type 2 (ADD)
Type 1. Classic ADD (ADHD) — inattentive, distractible, disorganized, hyperactive, restless, and impulsive. More often in males. As colicky children, over-active children, the parents have a difficult time bonding with these children (Libra – Oxytocin deficiency). Low self-esteem because they feel different and they do not fit in.
SIGNATURES: This can possibly be connected with a weak Saturn and some out of bounds planets, such as Moon, Mercury, Mars Jupiter or Uranus.
- They respond to a high protein diet, low carbohydrates and physical activity, such as sports
- Low levels of Dopamine – they respond is a diet high in L-Tyrosine, the amino acid building block for Dopamine.
- High concentrations of a Dopamine stimulant is found in very dark chocolate. I recommend the 85% and only the Lindt and Endangered Species brands. Many American chocolates are shown to have high amounts of cadmium. See ComsumerLab.com
- Too much Dopamine causes the individual to become over-focused and stuck in negative patterns as with Type 3
- Grape Seed extract and Pycnogenol increase blood flow and act as super anti-oxidants
- Gluten blocks nutritional absorption and GMOs create inflammation
Type 2. Inattentive ADD — inattentive and easily distracted, but not hyperactive; sluggish, slow moving, low motivation, and often described as space cadets, daydreamers, couch potatoes. More often in females. This type is very responsive to treatment.
SIGNATURES: This can be associated with Neptune and Planets in the Cadent Houses. I have Mercury in the 12th 45 degrees from Neptune and I tend to tune out a lot and I have difficulty concentrating, if something is not mentally stimulating.
With a weak Saturn, there was poor structuring at home. I developed a pattern of tuning out of my mother’s anger and rages. My father did the same.
Mars-Neptune causes the sluggishness when a parent continually sabotaged the individual’s energy, initiative and desire to accomplish.
When reading about this Type, I connected it with Taurus/Libra. These can be lazy signs. Procrastination, timing/being on time and tuning out are often problems.
The Dietary Protocol for Type 1 should be followed here. I would add that they need an interest that fires them up mentally – astrology did this for me!
IMPORTANT BREAKTHROUGH: In the ConsumerLab.com newsletter (subscription only but a great investment), a study in Finland used the basis of the probiotic recommendation to prevent childhood eczema (and food allergies) to research the risk of neuropsychiatric disorders. In the study, 10 billion cells of Lactobacillus were given daily to pregnant women for 4 weeks prior to delivery date. Then, the probiotic was given to the infant for 6 months (and the mother if breast feeding).
In a follow up after 13 years, NO CHILD ON PROBIOTICS developed ADHD or Asperger Syndrome. In the placebo group, 17% developed these conditions!
GENERAL SIGNATURES OF ADD: The above chart is a good example of these signatures
- This individual has the signatures of ADD with Saturn at 0º and Retrograde. Beginning Planets or planet in the early degrees represent an energy that the individual must teach his or her self or through a mentor. How to use a planet was not taught by the parents.
The Pre-Frontal Cortex, ruled by Saturn, is the vital region of the brain regulates thought in terms of both short-term and long-term decision making. It allows humans to plan ahead and create strategies, and also to adjust actions or reactions in changing situations. Additionally, the PFC helps to focus thoughts, which enables people to pay attention, learn, and concentrate on goals. This area is also the part of the brain that allows humans to consider several different yet related lines of thinking when learning or evaluating complex concepts or tasks.
- Planets in early degrees of a sign are always more difficult to regulate and they can be developmentally challenged. Most people learn the lessons of their Beginning Planets and they come to function in a highly individualistic way. With Saturn at 0° and Retrograde (inconjunct the Moon and Ascendant), there is a highly dysfunctional relationship with the father. The only lesson that the father taught was how to be a failure in life.
- In the above chart, the Moon and Uranus are Out Of Bounds, beyond 23°26’ North or South Declination. When Saturn is weak or “dysfunctional,” there is a diminished capacity to regular these planets. When a planet is Out Of Bounds, it has gone beyond the limit and boundary of the Su, the central focus of our solar system. Great athletes can have Mars OOB so it is not always negative.
- A Saturn dysfunction is associated with the Pre-Frontal Cortex and our ability to regulate our thoughts and actions. The 150 degree aspect can be difficult to regulate. While it can bestow important talents, it can also have difficulty expressing the positive side of Saturn.
- The difficult planets in the 5th House suppress Fire, the element ruling the Frontal Lobe. The Fire suppressing Houses are the 2nd, 4th and 5th Houses. Suppressing Fire can possibly suppress Dopamine, the neurotransmitter for the Frontal Lobe.
- Afflictions between Houses 3-6-12 are associated with learning disabilities. Years ago, a teacher in an elementary school collected the birth certificates of the students in the school with ADD. She found the 3-6-12 correlation with ADD. The 9th House was not involved. With a Retrograde planet here, the individual can be dyslexic.
- In this chart, there is a Cardinal T-square with planets all in early degrees. Cardinal signs are associated with adrenal dysfunction, due to a life fraught with crises. With strong Cardinals, there is a protocol for calming the Adrenaline Gland which I have described on my website https://www.lynnkoiner.com/astrology-articles/cardinal-afflictions-adrenaline-dominance
- Planets in Cancer and Virgo, afflictions to the Moon and afflictions involving Ceres indicate food intolerances that are always involved with ADD/ADHD. I know this individual had a very poor diet with lots of sugar. Food intolerances are not food allergies, as allergies would trigger an anaphylactic reaction. Food Intolerances trigger a high inflammation level that agitates the body functions.
The influence of Saturn has also been observed by Gayle Geffner in her publication, ASTROLOGICAL MARKERS FOR ADD & ADHD. Our research was conducted independently. One possible connection with Saturn is poor discipline and structuring so that the child cannot focus – but this is not the only cause.
Parental abuse, being struck in the head, has been linked to criminal behavior and ADHD.
TYPE 1 – ADHD or Attention Deficit-Hyper Activity:
This is a chart for a young boy whose behavior changed overnight after receiving his childhood disease inoculation. The Mercury-based injection pushed his body over the edge. These inoculations have often been suspected in some cases of ADHD and this is definitely one of those causes. Today, the inoculations cover over 80 different health issues and this can over-whelm a child’s body. Many parents are now opting to give the inoculations later in the child’s age and over a longer period of time.
The powerful astrological aspects occurring at that time he developed ADHD were:
- Transiting Neptune square Mars
- Solar Arc Neptune square Mars
- Transiting Uranus square Moon
- Neptune aspects always engender hyper-sensitivity to drugs and chemicals in general.
His grandmother had him tested for food intolerances. He only ate organic foods. His ADHD had to be controlled with medication. Without it, he could not control himself and he was miserable. Around the age of 10, his involvement in sports helped with his concentration.
Transiting Saturn in Libra-Scorpio trined his Air sign planets and then his Water sign planets. He also transferred from a noisy public school to a very quiet Catholic School, helping his concentration. His self-esteem improved, going from a “bad boy” in public school to the teachers’ pet in Catholic school.
His Jupiter in Cancer is Out Of Bounds. Jupiter rules our sense of moderation and proportion. With a Beginning Moon, he is learning the manifest emotions and impulse control in this lifetime.
I know there were initial bonding issues with the parents. They just did not know how to take care of a baby. He was nutritionally deprived until the grandparents stepped in and took over. His mother is involved with his sports, where he excels and he has become a Little League champion. The Moon is afflicted with Saturn and square Ceres (the lack of nurturing from the mother) and Uranus.
Gayle Geffner says that such children do extremely well in sports and that a career working with small children is best suited to their “attention” issues – small children have a very short attention span in general. I have observed them as doing well in sales. Another child scored high was skills as an airplane pilot.
PRE-NATAL MERCURY EXPOSURE:
Pregnant women need to be especially careful because eating fish that contain even low levels of mercury can increase the risk for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in offspring. This can be confusing for mothers to be because there are also several other types of fish during pregnancy may protect against the disorder.
A cohort study of almost 400 children showed that the risk for inattention and impulsivity at the age of 8 years was significantly associated with maternal mercury levels and as the mercury levels increased, so did risk.
The study was conducted between 1993 and 1998. 788 infants from Massachusetts were enrolled in the study which was designed to assess a possible link between exposure to polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and neurodevelopment.
Soon after birth, hair samples were collected from the mothers and analyzed for mercury levels. The mothers also filled out a questionnaire regarding fish consumption during pregnancy.
At 8-year follow-up, 421 of these children were assessed for possible ADHD behaviors and the results showed that not only was mercury exposure associated with inattention and impulsivity/hyperactivity, but the risk for these behaviors increased with maternal hair mercury levels. The threshold for first association with ADHD symptoms appeared to be at least 1 μg/g or more of mercury. In addition, these associations were more notable in boys than girls.
NOTE: From this research, it is recommended that pregnant women take only high quality Omega-3 supplements, fish from which all toxins have been removed. In the subject above, the mother eats LOTS of fish!
OTHER CAUSES OF ADD/ADHD:
- Head injury, especially with abused children who were struck in the head. The pre-frontal cortex does not develop until the 1st Saturn Return. This included BIRTH TRAUMA in which there was an injury to the head or deprivation of oxygen.
- Toxic Exposure – during the gestation period, the mother may have used drugs, alcohol, cigarettes and these put a child at risk for ADD and learning disabilities.
- Type 1 and 2 can be connected with thyroid problems (Mars-Saturn-Taurus)
- Hormonal influences at puberty can trigger ADD. I found that Wild Yam/Chaste Tree herbal combinations really affected my moods in a positive way. Brain activity is low when estrogen is low
- Poor Diet – a diet of high simple carbohyrates (sugar and starches) can make a child appear ADHD. These types do better on a high protein diet. A lack of protein causes a tremendous problem with focus throughout the day.
- Lack of Exercise – exercise stimulates the blood flow to the brain. A child with a sedentary life style is more prone to exhibit ADD symptoms. This includes watching a lot of TV and video games. Vinpocetine helps stimulate circulation in the brain. Head-neck exercises help flush out toxins.
- No-Brainer activites (like television) decreases a child’s ability to focus. Research has shown that the BASIL GANGLIA (where dopamine is produced) were much more active when the video games were being played than at rest. These games released dopamine.
- Physical and Emotional Neglect causes a lack of nurturing for the brain. Stress hormones can poison a child’s brain. Neptune (ambivalence) and Pluto (neglect) are associated with these issues.
- POOR PARENTING – a lack of structuring makes it difficult for a child to focus.
- Physical, Emotional and Sexual Abuse: This is similar to PTSD and PTSD is often associated with Adrenaline Dominance. NOTE: I cannot pick up sexual abuse in the chart. I do know that Mars-Saturn in Fixed signs can be a signature of abuse.
- Severe Allergies to environmental toxin or foods (Cancer-Virgo-Ceres = Food Allergies); Neptune undermines the immune system with environmental toxins
- Many ADD children are overly active in the womb – later they manifest as colicky, fussy eaters, difficulty being comforted, and their sensitivity to sound causes sleeping disorders.
- Dietary Oxalate: Some research is finding that children’s brains can be adversely affected by quantity of oxalate in a diet. Chocolate has a lot of Oxalate Acid.
- As far as my research (Gayle Geffner), it is purely karma in nature with a few suggestions as to how to cope. Saturn/Saturn Rx is a major contributor to ADD/ADHD karmically so this is okay w/me. I refer to Asteroid 944 Hidalgo as much as Saturn but since you are medical I think this is great.
- I also found houses 3,6 and 12 important.
- I don’t know if you want to add that according to the CDC 11% of children from ages 4 to 17 have been diagnosed with either ADD or ADHD. It is quite high.
ADDENDUM TO PAGE 3 BREAKTHROUGH:
The research in Finland showed that adding Probiotics to the diet eliminated any ADHD-ADD-Asperbergers-Autism.
More recent observations have found that such people lack a good bacteria called L.Reutori, especially in cases of Autism. My theory on Twins, where one is normal and other has autism is that the larger Twin is greedy and absorbs the good bacteria.
- Reutori probably should be purchased refrigerated. It is an anti-inflammatory bacteria. High inflammation levels (C-Reactive Protein test and MTHFR test). This probiotic plus an absorbable B supplement such as Neuro-Biologix NEURO-IMMUNE STABLIZER (rub in twice daily) can help with this.
Certain health issues are shown to have excessively high inflammation levels due to an inability to metabolize B vitamins.
Recently, my doctor told me that babies delivered by C-Section have a high incidence of immune deficiency disorders, such as asthma, allergies, depression and some congenital disorders. They have discovered that, as the baby is coated with the mother’s good bacteria in the birth canal, they baby becomes protected and this boosts the baby’s immune system. Some hospitals are now applying good bacteria to the baby’s body after the C-Section. There are probiotic that impact moods such as L. Helveticus and B. Longum. These do take a long time to work.