COMMON CURES Part IV:
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and STAPH INFECTION: On the Today Show, a book was featured, SAVING SAMMY, about a boy who had sudden OCD onset. A year later it was diagnosed as a Staph infection that had caused an auto-immune infection in the brain. A simple antibiotic was the cure. With Sudden Onset of OCD or Turret Disease, this may be something to check into.
THYROID BOOK FREE DOWNLOAD: http://www.thyroidawarenessmonth.com/thyroid-ebook2010.pdf
HYPOTHYROISIM LINKS: http://www.members.tripod.com/~TDmagicmom/altFAQ.html
Broda Barnes E-Book: http://www.wilsonssyndrome.org/eBook/Chapters/05Uncovered.cfm
HEART ARRHYTHMIA: The omega-3 fatty acids in fish oils appear to stabilize the electrical activity of the heart muscle, reducing susceptibility even to ventricular arrhythmias and ultimately decreasing the risk of sudden cardiac death. I will add the supplement CALCIOS from the Heritage Store in Virginia Beach. It is an Edgar Cayce Formula that also helps with foot and leg cramping at night. This is a cream that is eaten on a cracker 3 times a week for bones health.
DO NOT EAT ANY CALCIUM PRODUCT with CHOCOLATE. The Oxalates in the chocolate bind the calcium, rendering it unusable and possible eventually causing kidney stones.
VINE ROOT EXTRACT/Heart/Obesity: Extracts from the roots of a vine that has overgrown almost 10 million acres in the southeastern United States may improve heart health, says a new study from the US. Rats supplemented with extracts from the root of the KUDZU plant experienced reductions in cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar, and insulin levels, according to results published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.
Scientists in Alabama and Iowa suggest that the extract may play a role in the prevention or improvement of symptoms related to the metabolic syndrome, a condition characterized by central obesity, hypertension, and disturbed glucose and insulin metabolism. The syndrome has been linked to increased risks of both type-2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease (CVD). In the US alone, about 50 million people are affected by the metabolic syndrome.
FOLIC ACID & ARTERY HEALTH: In the September, 2009 issue of the British Journal of Surgery, researchers from England’s Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital National Health Service Trust and the University of East Anglia report the benefits of supplementing with folic acid in patients with peripheral artery disease, or PAD. Peripheral artery disease is diagnosed when the arteries of the extremities become progressively occluded due to atherosclerosis. Not surprisingly, red blood cell and plasma folate increased in participants who received folic acid and 5-MTHF, and homocysteine was significantly reduced compared to those in the placebo group. NOTE: My dad’s traditional Cardio Specialist prescribes 1 gram of Folic Acid because of its benefit for the heart and Alzheimers preventative.
Additional Heart Information is found in CC-One
ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE: A combination of vitamin D3 and Curcumin may boost the immune system and help it clear the protein plaques linked to Alzheimer’s.
The new data, published in the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, may lead to new approaches in preventing Alzheimer’s by using vitamin D3 alone or in combination with natural or synthetic Curcumin to boost the immune system in protecting the brain against beta-amyloid. The build-up of plaque from beta-amyloid deposits is associated with an increase in brain cell damage and death from oxidative stress. This is related to a loss of cognitive function and an increased risk of Alzheimer’s, the most common form of dementia and currently affects over 13 million people worldwide.
From the same Journal, Polyphenols from Grapes are believed to protect against the formation of beta-amyloid, a toxic protein that forms in the brains of Alzheimer’s disease patients which may be responsible for some the disease’s damaging effects. It was discovered that regular supplements or food intake with Polyphenols are needed to penetrate the brain.
HEART & ALZHEIMERS:
— Blueberry Extract — When researchers analyzed fruits and vegetables for their antioxidant capability, blueberries came out on top, rating highest in their capacity to destroy free radicals (Wu X et al 2004). In 2005, scientists discovered mechanisms to explain how blueberries can improve memory and restore healthy neuronal function to aged brains. The astounding conclusion of researchers was that the favorable effects of blueberries on brain function are analogous to those seen with long-term calorie restriction
— Grape Seed Extract. Grape seed extract has demonstrated remarkable success in blocking the formation of senile plaques. One of the most potent antioxidants available, grape seed extract possesses 20 times more free radical–fighting power than vitamin E and 50 times more than vitamin C
— PHOSPHATIDYLSERINE, 100-300mgs daily for 1 month; followed by 100-200mgs daily afterwards produces significant results.
TEN NATURAL WAYS TO REMOVE HEAVY METALS: http://www.naturalnews.com/z026885_zeolite_heavy_metals_cilantro.html
Omega-3 Supplements Soothe Asthma Symptoms
Over the years, I have written extensively about the benefits of omega-3 fatty acid supplements, such as fish oil. Scientific evidence has found that taking fish oil has many positive effects on both mental and physical health, including the following:
• lowers triglyceride levels
• prevents heart arrhythmia
• enhances immune system
• stabilizes nerve cells
• maintains normal blood flow as it lowers the body’s ability to form clots
• raises heart rate variability (HRV), which is good for both brain and heart health
• may reduce high cholesterol
• decreases the risk of sudden cardiac death
• decreases blood pressure
• reduces joint pain and stiffness in rheumatoid arthritis sufferers
• improves the appearance of the skin
• helps stabilize moods in the treatment of bipolar disorder
• reduces symptoms of depression
• eases symptoms associated with perimenopause and menopause
• may improve focus and concentration in people with ADD
Now, a new study has uncovered yet another benefit of omega-3 supplementation. Researchers in Egypt have found that taking omega-3 supplements, along with vitamin C and zinc, significantly decreased symptoms of asthma in children with moderately persistent asthma. Asthma is a chronic inflammatory disease, and the researchers suggest that the anti-inflammatory properties of omega-3 could be the reason for the improvements.
If you aren’t already taking omega-3 supplements, you may want to consider it. The typical dosage of fish oil is 1 to 2 g a day for prevention and 4 to 6 g a day to treat illness. I often recommend 2 to 4 g a day for adults, and 1 to 2 g a day for children. Amen Clinics, Inc., has its own brand, which we took years to develop.
Daniel G. Amen, MD – CEO, Amen Clinics, Inc. – Distinguished Fellow, American Psychiatric Association
VITAMIN B-12 DEFICIENCY – A problem common in older people and best taken under the tongue.
Vitamin B-12, called “cobalamin” because it contains the mineral cobalt, is required for a staggering number of physical functions and chemical reactions. Best known for its participation in the manufacture of red blood cells, B-12 is also needed for production and maintenance of the myelin sheath that surrounds nerves and for production of DNA, the genetic material of all cells. And that’s just the beginning. The serious health consequences of vitamin B-12 deficiency can adversely affect nearly every system in the body.
• Energy: Even minor deficiencies of vitamin B-12 can cause anemia, fatigue, shortness of breath and weakness.
• The Nervous System: Deficiencies of B-12 can cause neurological changes including numbness and tingling in the hands and feet, balance problems, depression, confusion, poor memory and Alzheimer’s-like symptoms. Long-term deficiencies of B-12 can result in permanent impairment of the nervous system.
• The Gastro-Intestinal System: B-12 deficiency can cause decreased appetite, constipation, diarrhea or alternating constipation/diarrhea, weight loss and abdominal pain.
• The Immune System: Vitamin B-12 is necessary for normal functioning of white blood cells. Studies show that B-12 helps regulate Natural-Killer T-cells and prevents chromosome damage.
• The Cardiovascular System: Vitamin B-12 participates in the conversion of homocysteine to methionine. Elevated homocysteine levels are a known independent risk factor for heart attack, stroke and thrombosis. Without adequate B-12 levels, homocysteine levels typically rise.
• Special Senses: Degenerative changes in the central nervous system caused by B-12 deficiency can also affect the optic nerve, resulting in blue-yellow color blindness.
• Other symptoms of vitamin B-12 deficiency include sore mouth or tongue.
BEST FORMS OF B-12: Methylcobalamin is considered by many researchers to be the most active form of vitamin B-12. It protects the nervous system by regulating glutamate-induced neuronal damage (common in aging) and promoting nerve cell regeneration. Methylcobalamin is the only form of vitamin B-12 that participates in regulating circadian rhythms (sleep/wake cycles). It has been shown to improve sleep quality and refreshment from sleep, as well as increasing feelings of well-being, concentration and alertness.
• Adenosylcobalamin (dibencozide), the second highly active form of vitamin B-12, is essential for energy metabolism. It is required for normal myelin sheath formation and nucleoprotein synthesis. Deficiencies are associated with nerve and spinal cord degeneration.
• Hydroxocobalamin is a unique form of B-12 that participates in detoxification, especially cyanide detoxification. Cyanide levels are often elevated in smokers, people who eat cyanide-containing food (like cassava) and those with certain metabolic defects. Excess cyanide in the tissues blocks conversion of cyanocobalamin to methylcobalamin or adenosylcobalamin. In such instances, hydroxocobalamin may be the vitamin B-12 of choice. Hydroxycobalamin is FDA-approved as a treatment for cyanide poisoning. www.prohealth.com/ep/EP100209
DEFICIENCY IN B VITAMINS, ESPECIALLY B-12: It is important to be aware of nutritional deficiencies. It is very easy for your family doctor to run a blood test that shows all of the vitamins and minerals in your body. In my last blood test, my B-12 was twice the normal amount but I do not know what this means.
A friend was experiencing these symptoms: The body feels hot, after which, nausea begins and then the legs become so weak that they cannot support the body. The individual must immediately lay down in a very cool place. Dehydration was not a factor. Sometimes there was an irregular heart beat. After each episode, the individual would feel like having just been run over by a truck, taking 3-4 days to recover. All hospital tests were normal, including the blood sugar. The first symptom that this individual described was an extreme sensitivity to the sun, although the sun has nothing to do with this.
As I have stated before, I take a liquid B Complex under the tongue at least 3 times daily.
WEIGHT LOSS from JOURNAL OF OBESITY & LIFE EXTENSION: …The findings of Chinese researchers of improvements in weight and body composition in men and women who consumed green tea that contained high amounts of catechins. Catechins are flavonoids which naturally occur in tea that have strong antioxidant properties. An average cup of green tea provides 50 to 100 milligrams catechins. Green tea and green tea extract have shown an ability to increase metabolic rate.
- A study in mice found that the primary polyphenol found in green tea (epigallocatechin gallate, or EGCG) decreased diet-induced obesity by decreasing energy absorption and increasing fat burning (Klaus et al 2005).
- Another study in mice evaluated the effects of caffeine, polyphenols, and L-theanine, the three major components of green tea. Additive benefits were found from green tea polyphenols, caffeine, and theanine on fat accumulation (Zheng et al 2004). Furthermore, another study showed that feeding 4 percent green tea powder to mice resulted in weight loss as well as lower concentrations of total cholesterol in the liver, triglycerides in serum and liver, and fatty acids in serum (Sayama et al 2000).
- A well-known study examined whether or not green tea extract, rich in caffeine and polyphenols, could increase 24-hour energy expenditure and fat oxidation in humans. On separate occasions, subjects were randomly assigned to one of three treatments: green tea extract and caffeine (90 mg EGCG and 50 mg caffeine), caffeine (50 mg), and placebo, which were ingested at breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Blood-thinners (anti-coagulants) are often prescribed for those at risk of blood clots and cardiovascular disease. Anti-coagulants such as Coumadin® (Warfarin), and platelet aggregation inhibitors such as Plavix® (Clopidogrel) are often used to prevent these clots. Daily consumption of aspirin due to its anti-coagulant properties also is a common practice. Aspirin consumption, however, poses the risk of gastrointestinal bleeding and peptic ulceration. For individuals who want an alternative, research indicates that a number of natural substances may safely inhibit platelet aggregation.
A recent study indicates that ginger (Zingiber officinale) is a potent anti-coagulant. Platelet aggregation is triggered by an inflammatory substance produced in the body known as arachidonic acid. Researchers in Australia tested the ability of 20 ginger constituents to inhibit arachidonic acid induced platelet activation in human whole blood. They compared gingers anti-coagulant ability with that of aspirin. The researchers concluded that components of ginger could indeed stop platelets from sticking together, possibly by inhibiting the enzyme COX-1.
The spice turmeric also has exhibited powerful anti-coagulant properties due to its ability to inhibit the formation of fibrinogen, a plasma protein that plays a key final role in the cascade that results in blood clotting. Elevated fibrinogen blood levels have been identified in a number of studies to be a major risk factor for coronary heart disease and cerebrovascular disease (strokes), exceeding the contributions of homocysteine, cholesterol and other lipid parameters in the pathogenesis of these diseases.
Turmeric can reduce fibrinogen levels, thereby inhibiting blood clotting.2-3 In one study by scientists in Spain, researchers selected eight subjects with elevated fibrinogen levels and treated them with 20 mg of Curcuma longa (turmeric) extract per day. After only 15 days, previously elevated levels of fibrinogen plummeted in all eight subjects.
Other research shows that turmeric-derived curcumin can directly inhibit arachidonic acid-www.ed platelet aggregation, possibly by virtue of its ability to inhibit the clotting factor known as thromboxane
Policosanol has inhibited platelet aggregation in both animals and human subjects. In animal studies, policosanol significantly decreased the size of experimentally induced venous thromboses (clots).
Vitamin E also is a key player in the inhibition of platelet aggregation.9 But research indicates that mixed tocopherols can more effectively inhibit platelet aggregation than alpha-tocopherol alone.10 Tocopherols may work as an anti-coagulant by virtue of their antioxidant abilities. Platelets aggregate because arachidonic acid is converted into pro-aggregatory thromboxanes-an oxidative process. As an antioxidant, vitamin E can quench the free radicals that cause this conversion.
Other Natural Blood Thinners
The fish-oil-derived EPA and DHA, Garlic, and proteolytic enzymes also have been shown to have anti-coagulant properties.12 Furthermore, an overlooked anti-coagulant is Inositol Hexaphosphate (IP6). In one study, IP6 inhibited platelet aggregation by 45 percent in an in vivo animal model. In an in vitro study by the same researchers, stickiness was induced in human whole blood taken from healthy volunteers. IP6 reduced clotting by 50 percent, or eliminated it altogether.
ASPIRIN: The most common blood thinner used is aspirin, which significantly inhibits platelet activity, one of the first steps in the clotting process. Sometimes, a small daily dose of aspirin is all that is required to treat heart conditions.
GARLIC: Garlic is a natural blood thinner. The type called Allicin is often preferred.
HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE & BLOOD THINER: Nattokinaise is a miracle supplement for lowering blood pressure markedly and keeping the blood from clotting. This should be taken with Serraflazyme for better absorption – and taken on an empty stomach
DR.OZ: Dr. Oz adds that very dark berries – blueberry and blackberries strengthen the arteries. These are also blood thinners. He mentioned this as being helpful for those with the tendency towards Spider Veins.
NOTE: Dark green vegetables thicken the blood and they should be eaten moderately. My dad takes blood thinner and the doctor always knows if he has eaten dark greens. This shows up in his blood tests.
NOTE: Do not self-medicate with natural blood thinners. At least, go for regular testing to see how you are doing. My dad goes every month.
CAYCE: Cayce felt that clotting was often caused by high acidity. An alkaline diet is repeatedly recommended, especially for those cases of impaired circulation where excess acidity was causative. Physical conditions that were often associated with excess acidity included digestive disturbances, constipation, arthritis and rheumatism, nervous conditions.
Massages: Swedish Massage and Lymph Massage/Drainage
CAYCE ACID–ALKALINE BALANCE
Edgar Cayce frequently emphasized the importance of maintaining a proper acid-alkaline balance by eating mostly alkaline forming foods. A comprehensive list of foods is included in this section. The following summary will give you a quick overview of acid and alkaline-forming foods.
Alkaline-Forming Foods (80% of the daily diet should contain these foods):
• All vegetables except dried beans, lentils, asparagus tips, and garbanzos.
• All fresh fruits except cranberries, plums, olives, prunes, and blueberries (preserves and canned fruits are usually acid-forming).
• Almonds, chestnuts, Brazil nuts, and hazelnuts.
Acid-Forming Foods (20 % of the daily diet should contain these foods):
• All meats except beef juice and bone meal.
• All grains, cereals, and bakery products except for soybeans.
• All dairy except buttermilk, yogurt, raw milk and whey.
• Peanuts, pecans, and walnuts.
FOOD COMBINATIONS TO AVOID
Certain food combinations are difficult to digest and may cause problems in the digestive system.
Here is a brief list of food combinations to avoid:
• Two or more starchy foods at the same meal.
• Sugary foods and starchy foods.
• Milk and citrus fruit or juice.
• Cereals and citrus fruit or juice.
• Large quantities of starchy foods with meat or cheese.
• Coffee with milk or cream.
• Raw apples with other foods.
Proper food preparation is important to preserve nutrients and avoid toxicity. Here are some suggestions:
• Steam vegetables in their own juices (i.e., patapar paper).
• Never fry foods.
• Use fresh, locally grown vegetables and fruits whenever possible.
• Avoid aluminum cookware.
ATTITUDES AND EMOTIONS
Edgar Cayce stated that even the most nutritious foods can turn to poison in the system if eaten while a person is in a negative frame of mind. Never eat when angry, worried or extremely tired.
BI-POLAR & ADHD:
• Avoid sugar and caffeine,
• Avoid food addictives — Food colorings and benzoate preservatives increase childhood hyperactivity, according to research published in Archives of Disease in Childhood, June 2004
• Niacin (Non-Flushing) – Example – 500 mg of niacin, three times daily (1,500 mg total). There was some improvement. With about 500 mg every two hours (an astounding 6,000-8,000 mg/day), the boy was a new person. He was now a cheerful, cooperative, affectionate youngster. Adding vitamin C and B-6 to his regimen helped even more. His school performance soared, the teachers loved him, and they repeatedly said so. At age 15, his maintenance dose was about 3,000 mg/day. He has since graduated from high school and is successfully employed. This is exactly in line with what Dr. Hoffer has repeatedly demonstrated for over 50 years
• Test for nutritional deficiencies such as B and D vitamins
• Test for mental toxicity and test for food intolerances
• EXAMPLE: Omega 3 (1500mg a day), Lithium Orotate (over the counter mineral), Niacin, and 5-HTP.
• EXAMPLE: A good start for Bi-polar is a natural diet, very little sugar, no and very little dairy. Sticking with whole grains, organic food and lots of fresh fruits and veggies helps. For supplements here is what helps: Omega 3 fish oil about 1500mg daily, Lithium Orotate 260mg, 5-HTP 200mg, Niacin (Inositol) 12g
CAYCE on BI-POLAR & PANIC DISORDER: Edgar Cayce often suggested that this was due to an adrenal-thyroid imbalance. A diet that is more alkaline is helpful. I have discussed this testing in CC-One
CARPEL TUNNEL: I have very little experience with this disorder. I did develop severe pain in my wrists but this is only regulated with diet. Sugar cases the pain to flair up (this happens at Christmas with all of the bad eating). If you can have an allergy test (Elisa or Food Safe by Life Extension) that determines your food intolerances, they can help you with diet. Generally, I suggest avoiding the nightshade family, gluten, dairy and sugar.
One man on [email protected] said that most devices did not work. Acupuncture was helpful but he suggested Carpal Therapist, a device that is almost $400 but he highly recommended it. CarpelTherapist.com gives a lot of information and a money back guarantee.
INFORMATION ON VIBRATIONAL HEALING: http://www.spaceandmotion.com/health/vibrational-medicine-healing-energy.htm Edgar Cayce often referred to this. These are links with new breakthroughs.
IMPOTENCE: A natural form of Viagra can be found at the health food store! The Amino Acid, ARGININE, works by relaxing smooth muscle contractions and this boosts arterial dilation, bringing more blood to the pelvic area and causing stronger erections. The body uses Arginine to produce nitric oxide, a chemical needed to achieve erections. Viagra works by making nitric oxide more readily available in the body. Arginine, as with any amino acid supplement, must not be taken with other proteins.
1) CoQ10 creates 90% of the energy in the heart. Research has observed that people with heart failure have low levels of CoQ10. Statin drugs deplete the body’s supply of CoQ10.
2) High Blood Pressure – Half of patients taking CoQ10 have been able to eliminate at least some of their blood pressure medications after about 5 months of taking CoQ10.
3) Chronic Fatigue – Because it produces energy in the body, some people with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome have been relieved of symptoms. NOTE: When this does not help, take the Hormone Saliva Test for Adrenal-Thyroid
4) Migraine Headaches – Research subjects found their headaches reduced by half when taking CoQ10.
5) Neurological Disorders – Some patients with Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and Huntington’s disease have found the progression of their disease slowed dramatically.
CAUTION: Like Vitamin K, CoQ10 can thicken the blood.
STRESS & ANXIETY: According to Dr. Oz, a dropperful of the HerbPharm tincture, Passionflower, taken daily is as effective as anti-anxiety medication.
VARICOSE VEINS–HEMMROIDS–CIRCULATORY PROBLEMS: HORSE CHESTNUT & CHRONIC VENOUS INSUFFICIENCY –
Research suggests that horse chestnut seed extract may be useful in the treatment of chronic venous insufficiency. In a systematic review published in 2006, for instance, researchers analyzed seven clinical trials and concluded that horse chestnut seed extract is “an efficacious and safe short-term treatment” for chronic venous insufficiency. A condition in which the veins do not efficiently return blood from the legs to the heart, chronic venous insufficiency is linked to problems such as varicose veins, ankle swelling, and nighttime leg cramping.
According to the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, there is not enough scientific evidence to support the use of horse chestnut seed, leaf, or bark for any conditions besides chronic venous insufficiency. However, a review published in 2001 concluded that supplementation with horse chestnut “may prevent time-consuming, painful, and expensive complications of varicose veins and hemorrhoids.”
CAUTION: When combined with certain medications (such as anticoagulants and antiplatelets), horse chestnut may produce potentially harmful effects.
ANTI–FUNGAL RECOMMENDATIONS: From a reader
1) There are many natural substances that are antifungal, like garlic, garlic pills, grapefruit seed, and oregano
2) The best probiotics I have found are Ultimate Flora 50 billion, now sold at Whole Foods.
3) Diffuser for essential oils. It is made by Young Living. They also sell an antifungal oil blend called “Thieves,” with clove, cinnamon, lemon, eucalyptus and rosemary, for diffusing. They have a book about how it kills mold in rooms (and will also help the lungs). I have always used eucalyptus, too, to kill mold. These are for diffusing, not ingesting.
4) Redness on skin and moist areas of the body – Gold Bond Powder. Yeast rashes usually burn, not itch, although they can itch some. If the Gold Bond powder does not give relief, then it is not likely to be a yeast rash.
GLUTEN SENSITIVITY: ONE CAUSE, MANY DISEASES – View article by Dr. Mark Hyman
A recent large study in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that people with diagnosed, undiagnosed, and “latent” celiac disease or gluten sensitivity had a higher risk of death, mostly from HEART DISEASE & CANCER.
On Mystery Diagnosis, there was a story of a young boy who developed seizures around the age of 8. After many tests, it was determined that he had Celiac Disease. With this disease, the intestinal villa (where nutrients are absorbed) were getting sticky from the gluten. He was not able to absorb vitamins and nutrition from his food and malnutrition lead to the seizures. At least, the diarrhea caused by gluten sensitivity also causes mal-absorption of nutrients.
CHRONIC PAIN & SUPPLEMENTS THAT HELP: This list is from Life Extension. They have a longer list under Chronic Pain but these are the most powerful listed.
• Devil’s claw. Several pharmacologic studies using animal models of inflammation have found that devil’s claw root produces powerful anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects (Blumenthal M 2000). In one study, 122 patients who had osteoarthritis of the knee and hip were treated with either devil’s claw or the drug diacerhein for 4 months (Chantre P et al 2000). Both groups experienced similar pain relief, but the group taking devil’s claw experienced significantly decreased side effects, particularly less gastrointestinal distress (Chantre P et al 2000). Other studies in Germany and France have found that the herb’s ability to alleviate pain and inflammation compares favorably with that of cortisone and phenylbutazone (Blumenthal M 2000; Brady LR 1981). In another study, people who had lower back pain felt significant relief after taking 2400 mg of devil’s claw daily for 4 weeks (Blumenthal M 2000). See Note for recommendation on Immediate Relief.
• Ginger root. Ginger root has exhibited anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects and has also been used to treat headache, nausea, and vomiting. One component in ginger, called (6)-shogaol, has a capsaicin-like chemical structure and works to deplete stores of substance P (Onogi T et al 1992). Similar to NSAIDs, components in ginger can inhibit the COX enzyme, which reduces inflammation (Kiuchi F et al 1992). Clinical trials show that ginger can reduce the pain associated with arthritis (Srivastava KC et al 1992).
• Proanthocyanidins. Proanthocyanidins possess extraordinary antioxidant properties that may be of value in reducing pain (Li WG et al 2001). Proanthocyanidins have shown analgesic and anti-inflammatory activity in mice (Subarnas A et al 2000). A small study found that grape seed proanthocyanidin extract reduced the frequency and intensity of abdominal pain associated with chronic pancreatitis (Banerjee B et al 2001). For chronic pain, 100 mg of proanthocyanidins can be taken twice daily for 4 to 6 months; then the dosage can be reduced by half.
NOTE: I know from personal experience that my own chronic pain due to neuralgia was alleviated after 15 days using Omega-3 (4000 mgs), Curcumin/Turmeric (800 mgs) and Zyflamend herbal supplement (2 pills). AND, I had to stop eating sugar, refined flour and the Nightshade family, especially tomato products. This is a long time to wait for relief.
Another friend drank fresh Ginger tea daily and her arthritis pain was relieved after 3 months. This too is a long time to wait for relief.
TESTIMONIAL: Another friend recently sent this post: “I have another herb to suggest for inflammation – my herbal-wise sister told me about it – Devil’s Claw. (This is different from cat’s claw.) It’s an African herb which the Africans have used as a traditional remedy for all sorts of conditions and it is used for inflammation and pain relief in the West. The medicinal properties are reportedly in the secondary root. I’ve been having increasing problems with inflammation in my right hip for awhile – the other anti-inflammatories that I had been taking, including Ginger Extract and Boswellia, did not seem to help. I had tried turmeric before also but, for some reason, it doesn’t seem to help me. When I remembered to try Devil’s Claw, it helped immediately – within probably less than an hour, maybe a half hour, the pain went down quite noticeably. My husband then tried it and it immediately lessened the inflammatory pain he’s been having in his sacroiliac joint. We used up what we had on hand and I’ve ordered some more. I’m using Nature’s Way Devil’s Claw Secondary Root – I’ve seen more expensive formulas out there but this stuff works just fine. I Googled Devil’s Claw and found that there has been some actual research on it and that it has been found to have pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties.”
“You probably are already well aware of the inflammatory properties of excessive omega-6 oil, which is particularly abundant in nut and seed oils, especially soy oil. I found out the hard way that the “good” oils I was using had been doing quite a number on me. About a year and a half ago, I developed increasing aching in most all of my joints, not just the ones I’ve historically had some problems with. To make a long story short, when I eliminated fried food and all oils from my diet other than omega-3 fish oils, not only did the overall aching go away, but I started losing weight! (At the same time I cut down on carbs as well, but I’ve done that before to little avail.) A couple of times since then, on vacations I slipped back into eating more sloppily, and each time the aching returned – so there seems to be a definite causal link here. Even the National Institute of Health is admitting that this stuff seems to work! See http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-devilsclaw.html.”
IMMUNE SYSTEM: “Astragalus (uh STRAW guh lus) is a fantastic immune system support. I’ve been using it since dealing with breast cancer in 2006 and have avoided getting sick despite my immune system’s having taken a real beating from chemo and radiation treatments. One winter my husband had bad cases of the flu twice, and I didn’t get sick. Even my yearly winter colds have stopped – sniffles sometimes appear but then disappear. Astragalus is clearly the most effective supplement I’ve ever taken. I’ve been using the extract in tincture form, but the herb in capsules probably works fine as well.”
GLUCOSOMINE & CHONDROITIN: Many people use this supplement for painful joints and degeneration. A Canadian doctor recommends that this be taken with Turmeric/Curcumin to boost the benefits and make the supplement more effective. A friend in Canada told me that this combination is extremely effective for her.
PAIN/DIABETES NEURALGIA PAIN: A Spray containing nutmeg could ease a painful condition caused by diabetes. Applied three times a day, scientists believe it will relieve diabetic neuropathy, where the nerves become damaged by too much sugar in the blood. The condition affects up to 70 per cent of diabetics and symptoms include a burning sensation, pain or tingling in the limbs. Painkillers are one of the main treatments, but some cannot be taken for prolonged periods as they can cause stomach ulcers. In a clinical trial at the University of the West Indies, patients will use the spray on the affected part of their body for at least four weeks. The trial follows earlier research that found the spice appears to have strong anti-inflammatory effects. One study showed that the nutmeg extract reduced levels of compounds called prostaglandins, which play a key part in the inflammation process.
NOTE: Finding such a spray may be difficult but there could be a nutmeg tincture or you can make your own tincture to apply on the painful area.
BRUISING: Especially helpful after surgery, pineapple and Bromelain help to break up the bruises.
COLLOIDAL SILVER Sprayed on Hong Kong Subways: Subway and train stations in London and other parts of the UK are considering using a powerful, non-toxic colloidal silver disinfectant spray to help fend off the spread of the flu virus this winter after Hong Kong subways recently announced its use of the spray. The MTR company revealed this morning its plan to use nano silver-titanium dioxide coating (NSTDC) spray on most surfaces on the Hong Kong metro rail system. Roughly 2.5 million commuters ride the Hong Kong rail system every day, and can easily spread colds and the flu through common surfaces. http://www.naturalnews.com/020851.html A neighbor whose little dog developed a cough from heart worm found that putting a large spoonful of Colloidal Silver in the dogs water (it is a very small bowl) brought about dramatic improvement in the coughing.
PROSTATE ISSUES: According to research by the Life Extension Foundation, the first line of defense against prostate problems are: #1 and most important, Saw Palmetto — this was as effective as prescription drugs; #2 as complementary, Nettle Root (the root is the best, not leaves) and it helps fight or prevent prostate cancer.
IDENTITY CHIPS IN PETS – DANGEROUS: Highly aggressive tumors developed around the microchip implants of two American dogs, killing one of the pets and leaving the other terminally ill. Their owners — and pathology and autopsy reports — have suggested a link between the chips and the formation of the fast-growing cancers.
DEPRESSION – DRUGS DO NOT ALWAYS WORK: This article gives many other causes for depression and drugs do not work for these causes. Edgar Cayce many times mentioned an earlier injury in the life that resulted in compression on the Cerebrospinal column. Eventually, this pressure would cause anything from depression to psychosis. Check out this article — http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/depression-medication-why_b_550098.html
1. Milk Thistle is a powerful liver regenerator. People with damaged livers can regenerate tissue with Milk Thistle. I take these herbs in the form of tinctures but they can be taken in any form.
2. Planetary Herbals BUPLEURUM LIVER CLEANSE – this is a supplement made by Michael Tierra. The bottle says to take 2 pills twice a day in between meals. My Herbalist says that she takes 4 pills at night before going to bed. This is just easier for me.
3. BURDOCK (Orctium Lappa) – this herb helps detox the skin, liver and blood; it is high in iron and it stimulates the lymph.
4. Blood Cleaners are Red Clover (anti-cancer herb), Burdock, Stinging Nettles (a powerful antihistamine for allergies) and Cleaves. These rid the blood of toxins and impurities.
5. Dandelion Root is a Blood Purifier what supports the liver, pancreas, kidneys and spleen. It has diuretic properties.
6. Yellow Dock is a blood purifier that supports the liver and gall bladder and, because it is high in iron, it helps with anemia. Iron should only be taken through herbs.
For information on blood purifiers:
Vitamin E has had some bad press from the medical profession. I know that when I first got menopausal hot flashes, 1600 IUs daily relieved these symptoms immediately. Life Extension has an article on Vitamin E should be taken with all tocopherals to be most effective. Now there is some new research….
A presentation at the American Thoracic Association 2010 International Conference on May 18, 2010 revealed the discovery by researchers at Cornell University and Brigham and Women’s Hospital of a lower risk of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) in women who supplemented with vitamin E, an antioxidant. “The oxidant/antioxidant balance in lung tissue is hypothesized to contribute to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) risk, and observational studies consistently report high antioxidant status associated with lower risk of COPD and asthma,” write researchers Anne Hermetet Agler and colleagues in an abstract that describes their findings.
Levels of vitamins A and E are significantly lower during exacerbations of COPD than they are in stable COPD, suggesting that antioxidants should be used during exacerbations (Tug T et al 2005). Although vitamins A, C, and E are beneficial, vitamin A may be most important because it catalyzes removal of the most reactive form of oxygen radical (Tug T et al 2005). Serum levels of vitamin A are lower in those with moderate or severe COPD. Vitamin A supplements for 30 days improved performance on PFTs in one small study (Paiva SA et al 1996).
Vitamin E levels are low in smokers, increasing their susceptibility to injury from free radicals. Vitamin E supplementation can reduce the risk of COPD in smokers (Daga MK et al 2003). Serum vitamin C levels are also frequently reduced in COPD (Tug T et al 2005). High-dose vitamin C may prevent oxidant-mediated lung injury during inflammation. Vitamin C also reactivates vitamin E that has been depleted by oxidant molecules.
CANADA: Bottled water contains high bacteria content – http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/100525/canada/consumer_con_bottled_bacteria_
ADRENAL FATIGUE & HEALTH: There is an excellent article on Adrenal Health on the free Sharing Wellness e-zine — http://www.sharingwellnessinfo.com/_uploads/newsletter_pdfs/SWI_August_2010_Newsletter.pdf See page 2-3. There is also an introduction to an article on Lyme Disease that will be continued in the next issue. I know the writers and they are excellent researchers.
FIBROMYALGIA: Tai Chi brings dramatic improvement for Fibromyalgia and Arthritis — http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/08/18/fibromyalgia.tai.chi/index.html?hpt=T2