THE PERSONA CHART from ASTRODIENST
Lynn Koiner, PMAFA
Around 2003, a post appeared on an E-List ([email protected]) with a reference to a new type of chart – 9 charts in all for each birth date – called the Persona Chart. There is the natal chart with the Sun in its proper place according to the time of birth but the 9 Persona charts are calculated for the Sun’s first contact over each natal planet.
First, so that you can obtain your own 9 Persona Charts, this is how it is done:
1) Go to www.astro.com
2) At the top of the Homepage, click on FREE HOROSCOPES
3) Go to CHART DRAWINGS and then click again on EXTENDED CHART SERVICE
4) Click on Box with NATAL CHART WHEEL and go down to the bottom to NINE PERSONA CHARTS – it will show charts for the Sun’s first crossing of your natal Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune & Pluto.
5) There is a place – New Data – for writing in your birth data
There is a series of articles on the Persona Chart but it does not tell you how to interpret the 9 charts. This article can be obtained:
1) Go to www.astro.com/h/index_e.htm
2) In the far left column, click on “Understanding Astrology”; click Advanced Astrology; click Persona Charts; click on one of the 6 articles in the list. I have enclosed the information from “Tips for Interpretation.”
Excerpting from the article on “What is a Persona Chart”, it states:
“Every single person in the drama has his or her very own history, has individual energies, individual needs, has weaknesses and strengths, and individual physical and psychological responses. Each person has an individual way of going through life, as well as an individual path to consciousness. The birth horoscope represents these twelve characters in their particular arrangement as parts of the whole. We want to show a new way of looking at the chart. We do not look at the whole, but consider its parts. We will not forget, of course, that whole is more than the sum of its parts.”
“We learn a method by which we can take out a single one of these inner personalities [the Moon and 8 planets of the natal chart], and look at it closely and independently from the others for a while. The birth chart provides us with little information about this personality: we only know the zodiacal sign, its house placing, and its relations with other planetary personalities. This is not a vast amount of information. For this reason we will take a step which might sound outrageous at first: we cast an individual horoscope for this inner personality [activated by the transiting Sun crossing that planet].”
“The individual characters on the stage [the planets] of my life have birth dates themselves, i.e. they have to “come to light”. This phrase contains the secret of their birth. They are born the moment the sun…reaches this inner personality for the first time and thus “brings it to light”….We call this horoscope a “persona chart”. For one, this horoscope describes one of my inner “personalities”, and secondly, it is derived from “per-sonare” and therefore associated with the motif of “that which rings through”.” This inner personality has – an ascendant – a ruler of the first house – a sun, which is always the protagonist, the 12 characters on the stage and a midheaven.
“We can treat this horoscope like a normal horoscope, but we have to keep in mind that it is not our chart, but the chart of this one person within us. We have to take care not to take this horoscope for the whole…Persona charts are horoscopes of independent personalities… Personalities inside… The birth chart is the horoscope of the most important inner personality, of my sun.”
This is all very confusing, to say the least! However, I had been through some dramatic changes July 2001 with Saturn transiting over my natal Moon at 10̊ Gemini. I thought that it might be relevant to look at the Moon Persona Chart, since it was being highly activated. My PC Moon is at 0̊ Cancer and it was surely activated by the Summer Solstice Eclipse on June 21 2001. The Pluto-Saturn opposition at 12̊ Sagittarius/Gemini on August 5 2001 was devastating for me as it was marked by the death of my uncle, the beginning of my mother’s symptoms of illness and a side-swipe betrayal by a “friend.”
The August 2001 opposition was close to the planets in only one of my Persona charts, the Moon PC with the Sun and Mercury at 10̊-11̊ Gemini. The November Pluto-Saturn opposition at 13̊ did not affect my natal or Persona charts. At the time, I was enjoying myself with friends in Europe. Yet, on February 27, 2002, when Mars transited an exact conjunction with my Moon Persona chart Ascendant, my mother died suddenly. Emotionally, this has turned my life upside down.
In 2001, regarding the relationship event, the transiting Uranus was opposing my natal Mercury. Any Uranus aspect indicates that something must end in your life – you either take control and make the change yourself or it just happens to you. Looking at my Mercury Persona chart, Uranus was transiting its 7th House cusp. So, I am hypothesizing that it is significant to look at the Persona chart for the planet being activated by transit to see how and when it will manifest. The transiting Mars in Sagittarius was opposing the Sun-Uranus conjunction in my Uranus Persona chart on the trigger date. Mercury was crossing the ASC/Sun at 20̊-21̊ Leo in the Mercury Persona chart.
In 2002, the only “hard” aspect (besides Saturn’s last crossing of my Moon) is Pluto opposing Uranus. In late May, the Pluto-Saturn opposition will be very close to this point, the lunar eclipse will square my Sun, and Mars will be at 0̊ Cancer, the Solstice Eclipse point and my PC Moon position. As Eleanor Roosevelt said, “You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face…you must do the thing you think you cannot do.”
From the “Tips on Interpretation:” The following recommendations are simply suggestions which need to be tested, and which are meant to help you to explore unknown territory: your own inner world.
1) The most important unconscious personality is the ruler of the first house of the birth chart. If you have, for example, a Libra ascendant, the main thing is to explore your Venus persona chart. There’s always a good surprise in the persona chart of the ruler of the ascendant.
2) The persona chart of the Moon informs you about the energies of the feminine side of your psyche. Just like the birth horoscope can be called the yang horoscope, we describe the Moon persona chart as the yin horoscope, its female counterpart. To access and understand her, you have to look at feelings buried deep inside.
3) The ascendant of a persona chart shows the deepest sphere of the unconscious which has to be found and understood by this personality. The ascendant of an unconscious inner personality also shows the forces which want to come to light, and which want to make their way to the surface with a great boost.
4) A persona chart’s sun is always considered the ego of this inner personality. But not THE ego! Saturn, for example, possesses an ego, a will to realize itself which speaks the words “I want …”. Part of this persona chart ego is known from the birth chart, because the sun of the persona chart always occupies the place which is held by the planet itself in the birth chart. However, the house placing of this persona ego is completely unknown. Just for the sake of finding out the house placing of the persona ego within its own chart, creating a persona chart makes sense. Not only does it tell us how this personality articulates itself, but also where it does so, i.e. in which sphere of life.
5) The Midheaven of a persona chart shows which fate the individual personalities encounter here on earth. It is the quintessence of the path which leads from the “unconscious” (Ascendant) to the “light of consciousness” (Midheaven). Whether this path is followed to the very end by the individual cannot be known. Whether the inner personalities come to consciousness, appears to depend on the intensity of the effort put into the venture, and on individual achievement.
It seems to us that a human who has integrated all inner personalities into full consciousness would have finished his way here on earth. We might deduce a law from this: Each inner personality I have found, renders my world poorer by one person. If the world outside does not owe me any more (inner) personalities, it may well be that it has fulfilled its function and may I leave.
NOTE: There is no room include my Persona charts but the data is: Moon – Jun 1 1946, 2:40:19 am DC; Mercury – Aug 15 1946, 5:16:30am DC; Uranus – Jun 8 1946, 10:15:41 am DC.
Bill Gordon: Each of these charts are calculated for the first moment the Sun transit each personal planet. So technically, they’re active our whole lives and whatever gets activated would have to have been latent since that time. But it’s certainly possible that we could incorporate the symbolism inherent in each of these charts when the contacts between them and other natal placements are extremely close. I’ll have to look at them from the transit angle and see if I can spot any trends. In any case, I think they’re worth a bit of study!