- When you are feeling out of control, it is too easy to hide and to allow your life to become unmanageable. And, the only thing that you can control is yourself and your immediate environment. Pluto manifests through the physical so that being physically active and doing something is essential to regulating and releasing its energies. I find myself sitting up late at night working on correspondence and projects that my Neptune transit left in a disorganized pile.
- In taking control, clean up your environment, throw out what you do not need and take care of tasks that you have long procrastinated over. If I lay in bed, I feel the over-stimulation of Pluto and I cannot sleep. Just going out does not solve the problem or release the energy. While walking to the Mall and shopping were easy and satisfying solutions under Neptune, Pluto only triggers meaningless and compulsive spending…another step in being out of control. Having meaningful discussions, mental activity and purposeful actions seem to work the best.
- Pluto transits occur when one is about to make a great new leap forward, to leave the past behind and embrace a new beginning. This is what Pluto wants us to do— empower ourselves by letting go of the past and taking a transformative leap forward in our lives.
- Physical Activity— Exercise is a great release for Plutonian energy, although the winter weather does not provide much of an opportunity for me to get out and walk. I joined a local gym and this always makes me feel better. With Pluto, there is a lot of intense energy and intense physical activity (very long walks) worked very well for me.
- In this “out-of-control” mode, my work makes me feel out of control. Sagittarius likes hierarchies so I must organize my priorities and I cannot over-load myself. I can easily feel over-whelmed. I organize my calendar and make a list of ”What to do.” I must stick to the schedule so that I do not feel out of control. I have also discovered another key to working with Pluto— KEEP YOUR LIFE SIMPLE. Avoid all complications. Learn to say NO to everything that is not absolutely essential. Your psychological survival depends upon it!
- I have observed that the transits of Uranus, Neptune and Pluto affect us through hormonal imbalances. For younger woman, there are 2 herbs that restore the hormones to a normal balance. If you are having menstrual problems, it is hormonal. I take Wild Yam and Chaste Tree, one capsule of each once or twice a day. For helpful Amino Acids, read THE DIET CURE by Julia Ross.
- Anxiety, especially at night, can cause night binging and insomnia. Around 7 PM, I make a big cup of a “Extra Strength Sleepy Time” tea. There are supplements at any good vitamin store that can help with sleep, such as Melatonin.
- The adrenals are severely stressed under the Pluto transit. I experienced acute lower back pain which is always adrenal exhaustion. My suggestion now is to take ADRENALCAPS by Solaray or Natural Sources Adrenal Caps which can be obtained at most health food stores. Take 2 capsules upon arising and 2 more at 11am. This prescription was recommended by a medical doctor. Do this in waves— 3 weeks on and 1 week off.
- Having to deal with the surfacing long-repressed emotions, the fears and especially the anger, can be very difficult! Give yourself permission to feel angry!
- Some Pluto transits can compromise our immune system, leaving us vulnerable to viruses and infections. A good protection is Wild Oregano and Olive Leaf (Nature’s Way is the strongest). These anti-viral and anti-bacterial need to be taken daily and they build up in the system.
NOTE: If you are taking other medications, please talk with your pharmacist about how these herbs and supplements interact with your medications.
- Pluto can make you feel like the situation will last forever but it does not. You can easily lose your vision and hope for the future. It is essential to expand your consciousness in order to rise above the darkness. I found reading spiritual and consciousness expanding books and meditation to provide incredible relief! “The higher you go (in consciousness) the smaller things look below!”
- EMPOWERMENT— this is the most important lesson that you will learn under the Pluto transit but it does not come immediately or easily. When Pluto made its retrograde square to my Sun, I realized that I had given my power away to a powerless person who could only criticize and find fault with everything that I did; I had given my power away to negative thinking, to absorbing the criticisms of others and to the tyranny of self-recrimination!
A friend gave me the “life saving” definition of empowerment— “Empowerment is recognizing what you need to do for yourself and doing it even when others say that you are being selfish. Your first priority is to TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF! When a situation is bad, your first responsibility is to get yourself OUT, to remove yourself from any negative, hostile or contentious situation, whether this is a job, a relationship or an environment. You empower yourself by protecting yourself! I finally felt empowered when I developed an attitude— that I would not put up with any crap from anyone… no ifs, ands or buts! The journey from feeling over-whelmed to “not taking crap” seemed like an eternity.
Astrologer, Mary Shea, in a lecture for the Baltimore NCGR, listed some POTHOLES that we may encounter while under the influence of a Pluto transit:
1) Power struggles, control issues, complications and the rubber-band booby traps. Often, people who are out of control are the most controlling and manipulative people that we encounter. The rubber band effect was my favorite: Two people spot a rubber band. They both want it and they crab it at the same time. The theory behind “possession is 9/10ths of the law” is that whoever holds on the longest will win.
With Pluto, they are holding a rubber band and whoever releases first, zaps the other! Whoever holds on the longest, gets zapped by Pluto…and the rubber band. The guideline here is to let go before you get zapped!! Let go before something complicates your life!
2) Escalation and getting caught blind-sided. I had a friend who was experiencing Pluto squaring her Ascendant. She started to play a game, a subconscious game, to learn how much power and control she had in a relationship. Once the game got started, she soon realized that she could not win the game. She was going to lose and she was going to lose the relationship. However, a Plutonian friend in Berlin assured me that, when a Plutonian person starts to play that game, they cannot let go, they cannot stop, even if it blows up in their face. KNOW when you are about to lose through persistent hard-headedness and LET GO!
3) Black or White polarized situations. Everything under Pluto seems black or white…but there are no black or white situations. Disengage your perspective, de-personalize the situation and work on the win-win compromise.
4) Reactionary responses, emotional overload, fear and anger and can all lead to the situation becoming stuck, frozen, mentally unbalanced and unconscious. Pluto applies pressure upon our astral body via the solar plexus and this forces long repressed emotional issues and feelings to the surface. The more unaware and disconnected we are from the feelings the more they take on a life of their own, blind-siding us and catching us unaware. Rage can explode uncontrollably, we can obsess or we can become emotionally paralyzed by what we are feeling. It is essential that we talk about it with someone and to honor the feelings that we do have. They are not facts; they are feelings.
A good example was a young woman who experienced Pluto opposing her 1st House Sun. Pluto is natally found in her 5th House of creative self-expression. Indeed, during the final phase of the Pluto transit, a pregnancy was her form of personal empowerment.
Pluto does not respect age. This woman is young, beautiful and extremely sweet and thoughtful. At the time that the transit started, she dropped out of my astrology classes because she felt that she just could not cope with the emotions that were surfacing in her life. She felt vulnerable, over-whelmed and she was extremely sensitive to criticism, by everyone. The opinion of others became too important. She felt that others could see right through her, that she could not say what she wanted and she felt great uncertainty in all of her communications and personal thoughts. Her fears became a block to the truth and these fears were over-whelming.
She saw a therapist for a few months, thinking that the therapist would solve her problems, give her the answers and figure her life out for her. Soon, she realized that she was the only one who would solve her problems, not the therapist.
Self-worth was non-existent. She felt incompetent and she could no longer do her job. She was not ready to deal with new people, make job changes, and anything new was too much to handle. She vowed not to allow her fears to dominate. She threw herself in the face of her fears and this was just too much. She searched inside for something strong but she could not find it.
The healing process began when she withdrew from life in order to regain her strength and RECONSTRUCT HERSELF INTERNALLY. Pushing too hard to face everything was the worse thing that she ever did. At this time, she became pregnant, becoming confined to the bed, and this experience allowed her to withdraw, giving her time to reconstruct her inner self. Her advice was to be gentle with yourself and slowly allow your strength to return — only then do you attempt to face your fears.
NOTE for 2008 & 2009-10: In 2008, Pluto was transiting late degrees of Sagittarius. Planets transiting the late degrees of a sign always indicates an ending cycle. It is a time in our lives wherein we must draw some life situation to a conclusion.
In 2009-10, Pluto will be in the early degrees of Capricorn. This always brings something new into our lives when Pluto aspects an early degree planet. With a conjunction, square or opposition, the stress does not mean that the situation is bad but it is the stress of doing something that we have never done before. It is a totally new cycle for us!
When Pluto makes a hard aspect to your natal planet, it is attempting to redefine how you use the sign energy in which that natal planet is placed:
In my own chart, Pluto is squaring my Jupiter-Neptune in the 2nd House of Finances in the early degrees of Libra. As this aspect approached, I began teaching a Medical Curriculum for the Online Astrology College. Indeed, with the square from Pluto, this has been very stressful but I knew that this is a great opportunity for me professionally to actually learn more about medical astrology through teaching it and organizing my years of research.
I was also voted as Director for the National Council for Geocosmic Research. Working at the National level is something very new for me but something that I feel I can handle. It has always been easier for me to be the Big Fish in the Little Pond. Being in the Big Pond is very stressful.
When Pluto is at early degrees of Capricorn, even if it is making a difficult transit, the opportunity will not be doomed to failure because of the nature of the aspect (Conjunction-Square-Opposition). It notes the stress that one feels in starting something totally new. In new degrees, that which is totally new is favored.
PLUTO to ARIES: In the early degrees, Pluto will eventually be aspecting Eris in Aries. This is a signature that the individual is bringing forth something totally new and something that may initially shock or disrupt the thinking of others. If expressed effectively, the new ideas and concepts will be assimilated and life will completely change.
Pluto in Capricorn wants us to be organized, efficient and effective. It wants us to build a supportive foundation for our plans. Aries wants action without thought to consequences. When these two perspectives collide, the individual can feel overwhelmed and out of control with the changes that are occurring. When starting something new, a good foundation and structure must be established.
PLUTO to CANCER: Cancer is often very fearful of new changes, especially if these could impact security. Great caution must be exercised in making decisions and changes that would affect one’s material, emotional and financial security. Do not take on responsibilities that would overwhelm or dis-empower. Even if an enterprise could be successful, fear and worrying about the outcome can sabotage one’s efforts. If you establish a solid, ordered “Capricornian” structure, you will be successful.
Since this is an opposition transit, the individual may be reacting to events totally beyond one’s control. Always prepare with some type of safety net for one’s self if you observe this aspect looming on the horizon. If you see this opposition coming up, make sure that your investments are secure and that you have the resources on hand that can protect you during a time of transition.
In President Obama’s horoscope, Pluto is opposing his Venus at 1 degree of Cancer. He is struggling to appease the fears of a nation, a nation that has lived in fear, a nation that has been manipulated by fear, since 9/11.
In the US chart, Pluto will be opposing our Cancer planets. It makes a cycle wherein the government must reorganize and restructure our political and corporate structures so that they will be supportive rather than disempowering.
PLUTO to LIBRA: Libra seeks to coordinate its efforts with others. It seeks balance and cooperation with others. It works with the Big Picture, Gestalts and coordinating the parts into a successful whole. I wrote about my experience with Pluto squaring my Libra planets. With the election to the National Board of an astrological organization, I must learn to work cooperatively with others. I am accustomed to being in charge and doing everything my way. I am also coordinating the research materials for teaching. This must be done in a very professional manner as these courses are for a diploma. Stress can come when we find ourselves having to coordinate a balancing act, getting all of the parts to work as an effective whole and to see the Big Picture, even when others do not.
PLUTO to CAPRICORN: Pluto will be crossing any planets in Capricorn. This marks a cycle for a total transformation and restructuring of the House area affected and ruled by Capricorn. When structures become outmoded, they must be changed. The Corporate World will be affected by this transit and, if CEO and government ways are not changed, there will be a global rebellion in 2012-14.
In the 1980s, Neptune in Capricorn dissolved old corporate structures such as Bell Atlantic telephone services. Reagan, trusting too much the integrity of corporate management, thought somehow that the rich would not hold onto their money but allow it to “trickle down.” And, trickle it did. The gulf between the rich and the poor widened and it continues to do so. Blatant deregulation allows corporations to act without any limitation. Pluto in Capricorn must clean up the mess generated by Neptune in Capricorn. Pluto in Capricorn is now affecting the rich, people who have lost millions. Pluto in Capricorn is indiscriminate. Pluto is the great leveler.