WORKING WITH NATAL ECLIPSES: An Excellent Lecture/Workshop by Bill Meridian
Bill Meridian, who lives with his Austrian wife and astrologer, Surya, works with the writings and teachings of the late Charles Jayne. Bill has been able to distill Jayne’s writings so that they are understandable by all astrologers, not just the astrological intellectuals. I can only give the highlights of his talk. Ideally, you should order his book from www.astroamerica.com – Dave will mail it out immediately and he mails internationally as well.
First, he gives Eclipse Rules:
1. Events that occur in the days around an eclipse are always memorable. He uses a time orb of plus or minus 10 days. Events that occur 7-10 before an eclipse work out in an unexpected fashion. Jayne states that these events are not always anticipated. These events are more fated.
2. Solar Eclipses can have an effect up to 3 to 6 months before they occur and as long as 1 year afterwards. The Lunar Eclipse can have an effect about 6 weeks before and after the lunar eclipse, according to Jayne. However, Meridian has observed events connected to the eclipse to occur as long as 1.5 years after the phenomena.
3. Eclipses occurring before or after the birth have an effect upon the life of the individual. If a natal eclipse is eclipsed again – that is, occurring near the same degree – the effects are very powerful. Eclipses near birth have an effect upon the life of the individual. At birth, the eclipse will last for your entire life – this affects the career orientation.
4. It has been traditionally thought that the path of an eclipse is not of concern unless you are a political leader or if you visit that area. Meridian has observed that such paths do affect the average person.
5. With regard to eclipse paths, the central path is the mot powerful and the eclipse path of a Total Eclipse is the most powerful. Eclipses add energy to any activity that takes place near them.
6. Eclipses stimulate the energy of the planet before it occurs and then triggers after it occurs.
7. Look at the Converse progressions for the timing of Pre-Natal Eclipses
8. Event triggers can be the transiting Sun squaring the Nodes or the transiting Mars squaring the Nodes.
9. It is my experience and Meridian states the same that events that commence just before an eclipse tend to flop. I say that some other event will “eclipse” the situation and I always use the example of Charles and Cammilla who were supposed to marry just before an eclipse…and then the Pope died so that they had to change their wedding date! Eclipses can affect a collective destiny in a group event – such as something happening to a group of children. But, whatever you do around an eclipse takes on great importance.
10. Eclipses conjunct the Sun-MC-Asc are the most important. Eclipses increase awareness, even if it is a health problem that makes you aware of a physical problem.
11. MOST INTERESTING: Eclipses on the birth dates of royalty will end the royal line – Diana, Charles and Katie were born on eclipses! I cannot find this passage now but I definitely remember reading a Nostradamus prediction that said that Charles would be the last king of England.
12. Meridian advised doing a synastry chart with the natal and eclipse chart to see how these work.
13. Eclipse paths at the Poles will have a global or international impact upon the world
14. Eclipses on your Sun give you power; eclipses opposing the Sun will take power away.
The theme of his talk was to look at the eclipse path of the Solar Eclipse before birth. My PNE occurred on July 9 1945 at 16 degrees of Cancer.
My Solar Eclipse Path crosses Hudson Bay and northern Canada, Greenland, Sweden and Finland and finally ends in Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan. These places, so far, have no meaning for me. There has never been an eclipse exactly on the PNE degree but, on July 10 1953, July 9 1964, July 11 1991, and July 11 2010, an eclipse occurred within one or two degrees of 16 Cancer. If I allowed a wide time orb given by Meridian, I can say that the periods around 1964, 1991 and 2010 were significant.
Yet, when Meridian shows charts that appear in his book, the Eclipse Paths of famous people, including himself, were very important. His own Eclipse Path goes through Austria – he is married to an Austrian astrologer and he lives in Austria. I can only suggest that you try this yourself to see how it works.
Another technique is to progress planets to the PNE eclipse point. In 1983 through Spring 1985, my progressed Mars was at 16 degrees of Cancer. This was a significant time for me in that I began my studies in Esoteric Astrology and Psychology, taught by Alice A. Bailey. I can truly say that this was a life-altering period in my life because I am still applying this form of esoterics to my natal and medical research. My progressed Moon at 16 Cancer has not revealed anything of major importance.
There is much more to Meridian’s methods that I am applying to my chart. His examples always work. Our Slovenian member, Ema Kurent, has had great success working with his theory of eclipses. And, eclipses are definitely very important!
Using the Synastry technique, the July 9 1944 eclipse throws a great emphasis upon the 11th House. It is strong in my natal chart as well, being the home of the ruler of my 10th and 3rd cusps. I am an only child who grew up on a farm, over a mile from the nearest children of my age. It was a wonderful life on the farm and a very lonely life as well. Saturn in the 11th often indicates that the individual grew up in a world of adults and not easily relating to one’s peer group. This Saturn often assumes responsibility roles in groups in order to connect with others. This is very true for myself – in my position of responsibility, people have to come to me. I do not have to reach out myself. I have learned everything about myself through group interaction, teaching in groups and coordinating groups. It is the field of my life lessons. This may be emphasized by my PNEclipse in the 11th House.
Something else that works using the Meridian theory – if I progress conversely to my PNE, this occurred when I was 52 years of age, 1997-98. If I have to think of one of the turning points in my life, it would be 1997-early 1998. I made dramatic changes and I will never be the same again – it was a good thing.
This link gives a long list of Eclipses: http://www.cafeastrology.com/eclipsessolarlunar.html